PREPARE Gathering 2009
30 June to 4 July 2009 in Slovenia and Croatia
Rural Economic Recovery and EU Enlargement in South-Eastern Europe
focusing on involvement of civil society in the new member states, accession countries and new neighbour countries
PREPARE – Partnership for Rural Europe– aims to strengthen civil society and promote transnational cooperation in rural development, especially in the new member states, accession countries and the “new neighbour countries” of the enlarged European Union. An essential component of the PREPARE programme are multinational events – the “PREPARE Gatherings”.
The PREPARE Gathering 2009 is a linkedseries of events in Croatia and Slovenia, aiming to bring together representatives of civil society, public and business sector, primarily from Central and South-Eastern Europe (SEE), on the issue of rural development. The main objectives are:
- to provide opportunity to rural communities to discuss and express views on the current challenges of rural development in Europe and beyond it;
- to create a spacefor exchanging experience and ideas, in particular to stimulate an exchange between rural actors from those Central and Eastern European countries which are already EU members, countries in accession and those preparing for accession, especially from the SEE region;
- to promote dialogue between the public, business and civil sectors.
The planned events comprise:
30 June (or 1 July by 8:30 a.m.): participants arrive to Stubicke Toplice (near Zagreb)
July 1: a series of“Travelling Workshops” – study visits of small groups focusing on good practices in sustainable, bottom-up rural development in Croatia and Slovenia;
July 2: a conference in Slovenia focusing on economic recovery of the European rural areas, including actions and measures undertaken by the EU and member state governments; reports from the study visits;
July 3-4: PREPARE Gatheringin Croatia, including:
- presentations of situation in countries, discussions on potential and needs of rural civil society, building of rural networks and strengthening cooperation between EU member countries, accession countries and neighbouring countries from the SEE region;
- exchange of ideas for future action of the PREPARE programme, with particular attention to the SEE region.
Throughout the event, the participants will be accommodated in Stubicke Toplice, a spa 40 km to the north-west of Zagreb, famous for its hot water springs. As in previous years, cost of participants from Central and South-Eastern Europe, including a substantial part of the travel costs, will be covered by the organisers.